Computer Science 394
Spring Semester 2007
Local Interactions and Emergence
- Reynolds, C. W. (1987). Flocks, Herds, and Schools: A Distributed Behavioral Model. In Computer Graphics, 21(4), 25-34.
- Langton, C. (1986). Studying Artificial Life with Cellular Automata. Physica D, 10(2), 120-149.
Related Web Sites
- EdgeOfChaosCA - an applet that allows you to see the effects of adjusting Langton's Lambda parameter for a 1d cellular automata.
- Langton's Ant - a set of pages discussing Langton's Ant. Part 1 contains an applet that demonstrates Langton's ant and its "road building" behavior.
- Boids - a page maintained by Craig Reynolds with lots of information about Boids.
- Java Boids Simulator - an applet that allows you to play around with the various boid parameters and observe their effects on the flocking behavior.