Computer Science 332
Analysis of Algorithms
Fall Semester 2003
Class #21 - Kruskal's Algorithm
Main Ideas For Today
- Minimum Spanning Trees
- Kruskal's Algorithm
- Disjoint Sub-set Data Structures
- Union-Find Algorithms
- Levitin, Chapter 9, Sections 9.2.
- Class #21 - Kruskal's Algorithm
(Slides are only available for download from on-campus locations)
Web Sites Related to Today's Topic
- Kruskal's Algorithm Animation
- This page has an applet that demonstrates Kruskal's algorithm for various size graphs. Each mouse click advances the algorithm one step.
Homework Assigned Today
Due Date: 11/24/03
- Levitin, Exercises 9.2: #1, #2, #4, #5
NOTES: For #1, break ties using alphabetical order, e.g. edge (b,a) comes before (b,c). For #2 & #4, be sure to explain each of your answers. For #5, give pseudo code for your algorithm, assuming that you can call either the
Kruskal methods given in the class notes.